Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] What's so cool about Boost.MPI?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-19 10:47:11

At Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:26:04 +0200,
Thorsten Ottosen wrote:

> Den 19-10-2010 14:59, Mathias Gaunard skrev:
> > On 18/10/10 23:41, David Abrahams wrote:
> >>
> >> Just wanted to call some attention to this article I wrote about
> >> Boost.MPI:
> >>
> >> http://daveabrahams.com/2010/09/03/whats-so-cool-about-boost-mpi/
> >>
> >> I think it might be useful to link that from the Boost.MPI docs, too.
> >
> > While the library seems nice (it bridges serialization with MPI), I
> > don't really see anything in there that makes me think it's "so cool".
> >
> > So after reading it, I felt a bit like the question "What's so cool
> > about Boost.MPI?" remained unanswered.
>
> The semi-automatic, but very easy to maintain, way of
> creating/maintaining the MPI type maps (via Boost.Serialization),
> IIUC.

Which yields huge performance benefits and makes practical some
computations that might otherwise not be, due to resource constraints
and the difficulty of generating type maps for arbitrary data
structures. Do I need to be more explicit about that, or is it simply
“not that cool?”

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing