Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Beginner needs help with Boost thread class
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-19 11:34:24

On 10/19/2010 04:04 AM, Julien Martin wrote:
> Hello,
> I am completely new to Boost and I would like to know in which method
> to put the business logic (work) of my thread class (which inherits
> from boost::thread). When you do that in Java you implement Runnable
> and put the business logic in the run() method. How do I do that with
> boost?
> Thanks in advance,
> Julien.

Hello Julien -

Boost threads are nothing like Java thread classes or the Runnable
interface.

The boost thread interface takes a function or function object that it
then begins running right away. If you are approaching this from a Java
background I suggest you start by forgetting all about Java thread
objects and start as if you know nothing about threads as objects.

This page
<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_44_0/doc/html/thread/thread_management.html>
will hopefully get you started. The boost::thread documentation is well
written and you will want to take some time familiarizing yourself with
what boost (and the c++ standards committee) think a thread is.

Feel free to ask questions as they arise. Welcome to Boost and good luck!

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Object Modeling Designs