Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Question about Boost License and commercialsoftware
From: Larry (lknain_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-19 23:17:42

I am not a lawyer but have worked with many lawyers on patent and copyright
issues
over the years. To some lawyers, how you use code like Boost (static,
dynamic, and
how it gets packaged with your product) is important. Some lawyers believe
that
the open source code must be packaged somewhat separately in order to
preserve
the rights of the non-open source code. Others do not seem to think
packaging is
as much of an issue. The static vs dynamic issue seems to be less debated
in my
experience. It would seem to me the best course of action is to see what the
company
intellectual property law lawyer's view is since he/she would have to defend
whatever
direction is selected in the event of litigation. The lawyer would need to
view the Boost
License.

Larry