Subject: Re: [Boost-users] asio UDP message packet loss even on localhost?
From: Martin Dyring-Andersen (mda_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-22 10:26:32

Akos wrote:

> I'm having a very basic issue: when sending a large number of UDP
> messages in short succession via boost::asio, even to localhost, after
> few hundred messages, there seems to be a serious loss.
>
> please see a sample code here: http://pastebin.com/Bq0DnkeG

I am no ASIO expert, but a few things came to mind:

1) As far as I know, it is not safe to do a async_send operation on a socket before the previous async_send operation has completed. I have seen this mentioned somewhere in the documentation, but can't find the place now.

2) Line 56: The logic in handle_send_to seems flawed. It issues a async_receive_from()? I would expect it to either send another UDP packet or just check the error code from the original send operation.

3) Line 116: The lifetime of the buffer passed to send() may end before the async operation completes. This will likely not cause the issues seen here, but worth mentioning.

Have you tried - just for debugging - changing the send() operation to be synchronous?

Have a nice weekend,
Martin Dyring-Andersen