Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit Porting
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-28 20:01:38

On 10/29/2010 1:15 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> I have encouraged and supported Bryce's undertaking on the assumption
> that the usage of the latest spirit would improve the xml_iarchive in every
> way including performance, maintainability and portability. This assumption
> was inspired and supported by the warnings that spirit classic was
> "deprecated" which
> seemed to suggest that it would be in our interest to convert to the latest
> spirit. The xml grammar used in the serialization library is very simple -
> what could go wrong? Well, It is starting to look like this assumption was
> wrong
> and I'm very disappointed. I feel the developer's of spirit have let Bryce
> down.

What are you saying? Are you even aware of the interactions between us
regarding this? It seems that you haven't even been reading the Spirit
mailing list about this and the threads surrounding it. I haven't seen
you interact. And now you are saying that we are letting Bryce down?
Accusatory words won't help at all, Robert.

> I'm hoping the spirit developers can step up and follow through to
> realize the expections developed for this package.

You too, sir! 100% porting is never an easy task. What we are looking
at are compiler quirks especially with lesser conforming compilers.
The xml grammar used in the serialization library is *not* simple.
You, of all people should know that. Bryce did an amazing job. It's
the 1% that always kicks us in the end. That's why I am saying that
we need another round to iron these out. ***These are not easy tasks***
I'm sure anyone working around ICEs should know.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com