Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit Porting
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-29 20:09:08

> >Just forget the IBM compiler. It's not up to the task to compile any of
> >Spirit V2 code. We talked to Michel Wong at BoostCon about this and he
> >said that his compiler team resources are very limited and that he does
> >not expect this to be fixed too soon.
>
> I was also under the impression that spirit classic would be deprecated,
> some time in the future, and had pencilled time to port to Spirit Qi.

Too many people out there use Spirit.Classic for it to be pulled from Boost
any time soon.
Even more as Wave is still based on it as well.

> My main motivation for porting to QI, was the performance of spirit
classic
> is atrocious.

That's definitely true.

> Currently I building on AIX and use the new IBM compiler (v11.1) but If I
> understand correctly you are saying dont bother trying to port from
> classic->Qi. ?

It's difficult for me to suggest anything as I have no experience with the
IBM compiler. All I have is second hand knowledge from my talks with Michael
Wong and from what I gather the Boost regression tests. I know they are
working on the compiler to improve Boost compatibility, but Spirit was not
on Michaels list of important Boost libraries to support.

> Is it possible to provide more detailed information, about what parts of
> spirit Qi(I assume this is V2) the IBM compiler cant cope with ?

If you look at the tests, you'll see that all are failing for this compiler.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com