Subject: [Boost-users] [build] cannot specify different version of gcc
From: Brodie Thiesfield (brofield2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-31 19:21:33

Hi,

I'm trying to build boost on CentOS 5.5 using the /usr/bin/gcc44
compiler and I'm running into difficulties with documentation not
fitting reality. How do I make this work?

What I've tried...

Note: I've removed /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/g++ to force errors when
gcc44 and g++44 are not used.

Using ./bootstrap.sh
Building Boost.Jam with toolset ... tools/jam/src/###
### No toolset specified. Please use --toolset option.

Setting CC=/usr/bin/gcc44 and CXX=/usr/bin/g++44 (note that this won't
work if gcc and g++ exist because then it will default to the gcc
toolkit and not the gcc-4.4 toolkit that I want). This builds a number
of things (looking at the bootstrap.log) but still gives the following
error. Ignoring the error and calling ./bjam then fails.
Building Boost.Jam with toolset ... tools/jam/src/###
### No toolset specified. Please use --toolset option.

Using ./bootstrap.sh --toolset=gcc gives an error:
   unrecognized option: --toolset=gcc

Using ./bootstrap.sh --with-toolset=gcc gives an error:
Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc...
Failed to build Boost.Jam
-> bootstrap.log shows that it is trying to build with gcc, which
doesn't exist, therefore error.

Using ./bootstrap.sh --with-toolset=gcc-4.4 gives an error:
Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc...
Failed to build Boost.Jam
-> bootstrap.log shows ### Unknown toolset: gcc-4.4

Creating ~/user-config.jam as:
  import toolset.using ;
  using gcc : 4.4 : g++44 ;

export BOOST_USER_CONFIG=~/user-config.jam

Then calling the same ./bootstrap.sh command lines above show no difference.

How in the world do I get this thing to use /usr/bin/gcc44 and
/usr/bin/g++44 to compile?

I think that I'm going to have to create local links ./gcc ->
/usr/bin/gcc44 and add the current directory to the path just to get
this to build the way that I want it to. This seems crazy.

Regards,
Brodie