Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Managing pipelines?
Date: 2010-11-02 12:15:12

Am 02.11.2010 16:49, schrieb Olivier Tournaire:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently thinking on how to handle pipelines in some of my
> application. By pipeline, I mean "something" in which I can set an
> input, add some processing on that input, and retrieve the output (the
> result of the processing).
>
> If I am not clear enough, let's go with an example. Suppose I have an
> image, and I want first to crop it, then apply a filter on the crop
> and get the result in another image.
>
> Does boost has a library with such a feature?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier
Hi,

those "Pipelines" are called streams in C++, and boost does provide a
library for streams (boost.iostream).
However, given this image-example I'd not recomend you to use streams
for this as those require copying, proxy object or move-semantics.
Moreover iostreams are not thought to pass whole objects, but little
pieces of information instead (like chars).

This doesn't mean that you can't use the operators << and >> for this
though. You might want to look at boost.Proto to build a lazy evaluated
expressions.

If you really try to build such an Image-Library, look at boost.GIL first.

Regards,

michi7x7