Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost threads without exceptions...
From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-02 19:35:25

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Dhirendra Pal Singh <s9_rose_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> If this question has been asked already, I apologise, but I have to go back to my group and present the answer. So please bear with me.
>
> In my current project we are using boost extensively, with exceptions disabled, until last week, when I started using boost threads. I get the following error when compiling...
>
> ***************
> deepsin_at_deepsin-lnx01:~/code/boost_thread/boost_threads_eg1$ g++ -fno-exceptions -g -I /usr/local/include/boost/ t1.cpp -o t1 -lboost_thread
> In file included from /usr/local/include/boost/exception_ptr.hpp:9,
>                 from /usr/local/include/boost/thread/future.hpp:14,
>                 from /usr/local/include/boost/thread.hpp:24,
>                 from t1.cpp:3:
> /usr/local/include/boost/exception/detail/exception_ptr.hpp:17:2: error: #error This header requires exception handling to be enabled.
>
> This means that any header file that includes, thread.hpp can't be compiled with -fno-exceptions. I have couple of questions if someone could help me with, I would appreciate.

It appears that this is due to a dependency of Boost Thread on Boost
Exception's exception_ptr. Somebody should look into this and either
remove that dependency or add #ifndef BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS around the
relevant code (unfortunately I don't have time right now to look into
this myself.)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.