Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [iostreams] compressing and decompressing in memory
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-07 08:21:51

On 11/05/2010 09:30 PM, Brian Budge wrote:
> HI Roland -
>
> Thanks for the link. Is this safe and/or efficient to use for binary
> data "file"s?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Roland Bock<rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/05/2010 03:06 PM, Brian Budge wrote:
>>
>>> I've been searching around for examples for how to compress and
>>> decompress using the zip or gzip iostreams compressors into/out of
>>> memory buffers. Has anyone tried this? Would you use basic_array for
>>> this?
>>>

>> I used std::string, like this, for example:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/attachment/ticket/2411/istream_bzip2_success.cpp

Please don't top-post.

I used this pattern for about 2 years with many millions of documents.
Strings were stored in and read from files. No data loss ever.
Efficiency is basically the same as the respective compression
algorithm. I used gzip, which seemed the best compromise between speed
and compression rate in my scenario.

Regards,

Roland