Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [build] cannot specify different version of gcc
From: Kim Barrett (kab.conundrums_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-08 01:18:41

On Nov 7, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Brodie Thiesfield wrote:

> I'll simplify the question in order to try again for help.
>
> I have found that the only way I can force boost 1.44.0 to build on
> linux using a version of gcc installed as /usr/bin/gcc44 is to create
> a symlink of gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc44 on the path. This can't be right.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to specify an alternate compiler? See below for
> the methods (from the documentation) that I have tried and found to
> not work.

Part of the problem seems to be misleading / incorrect error messages:

>> ### No toolset specified. Please use --toolset option.

seems to be an error message from bjam, but I think "--toolset" should instead be "toolset". I don't know anything about ./bootstrap.sh though.

I use something like

  bjam toolset=gcc ... lots of other options ...

with a user-config.jam file containing something like

    using gcc : : /usr/local/bin/mygcc : <cxxflags>="..." ;

[Remember that whitespace separation matters in user-config.jam]