Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization][thread] possible regressions?
From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-12 03:32:02

Robert, all,

I'm of course happy to help, e.g. try out fixes you propose.

The code is available at http://www.launchpad.net/geneva for you to look at,
if you want. Click on "View the branch content". The code in question is in
the include/geneva and src/geneva subdirectories.

I have, just for kicks, commented out the
BOOST_SERIALIZATION_ASSUME_ABSTRACT in

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gemfony/geneva/trunk/annotate/head%3A/include/geneva/GPersonalityTraits.hpp

plus the

BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT(Gem::Geneva::GPersonalityTraits) in
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gemfony/geneva/trunk/annotate/head%3A/src/geneva/GPersonalityTraits.cpp

My understanding is that, with gcc, Boost.Serialization is able to detect by
itself that GPersonalityTraits is purely virtual, and that
BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT doesn't make a difference anyway for a class that cannot
be instantiated directly. However, the error message at the end of the
program execution remains the same.

I am also pretty confident that serialization itself is unaffected (during
the program's runtime), since server and client can communicate and the
program correctly converges towards the minimum of a toy optimization
problem (i.e. the right data is exchanged).

Best Regards,
Ruediger

P.S.: Please do expect a few hours delay between any proposed fix and my
answer, given that Robert is in the US and I am in Europe.