Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [netlib] throwing exceptions with http_client.cpp
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-19 02:11:37

On 11/19/2010 12:10 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Christian Henning<chhenning_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Thanks for your insight. It's very interesting!
>>

> You're welcome, thanks! :)
>
>> I'm sure this idea already came up but why not let the user have the
>> option of making parts of netlib compile into a lib?
>>

> Yes, it's already come up. ;) The real reason is because I don't see
> which parts of cpp-netlib can be moved into a compiled lib. Most -- I
> should say "all" -- of the algorithms I implement is generic. Maybe
> later on I can do that, but only once I see which parts can be moved
> to a compiled lib. :D
>
> Also, I aimed to do it header-only, which I think I've largely
> succeeded in doing now. Going the other way looks really hard from
> where I'm sitting. :D

A good way to start is by separating the implementation files from
interface files such that the user can include the interface files
from headers and the implementation files from cpp plus template
instantiations with the client's actual template types.

I'm sure this will be asked time and time again. It's better to
deal with this sooner rather than later.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com