Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Cannot build Boost
From: Greg Ward (greg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-26 14:54:36

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Ondřej Majerech <oxyd.oxyd_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 22 November 2010 08:35, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> What documentation are you looking at? The getting started guide recommends
>> that you use:
>>
>>        ./bootstrap.sh
>>        ./bjam
>>
>> to build boost. Have you seen that recommendation? If no, do you have
>> any suggestions how to make it more visible? If yes, why have you decided
>> not to follow it?
>
> This is what I'm looking at:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html
> .
>
> Yes, I have seen that recommendation. However, it also says, "If
> you're using a compiler other than your system's default, you'll need
> to use Boost.Build to create binaries." in section 5.2. As using a
> compiler other than my system's default is exactly my case, I
> understood it that I should use instructions in section 5.2 instead of
> those in 5.1. Did I misunderstand this part?

I'm having the exact same problem as Ondra: boost 1.45 does not seem
to build the same way as boost 1.44 if you need to use a custom
compiler or non-standard build variant, and the docs do not describe
the new way of doing things.

So: how do you build boost 1.45 with 1) a custom compiler and 2)
non-standard build variants. In my case, I'm using a local build of
GCC that is not in $PATH, and I need single-threaded, static
libraries.

Thanks!

Greg