Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread][repost] recursive shared mutex
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 17:51:53

On 11/28/2010 04:18 PM, Bronek Kozicki wrote:

> Are you familiar with this explanation why recursive mutexes are not
> actually helping to write better programs
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/d835f2f6ef8aed99?hl=en

No, I had not seen that. It's an interesting post, thanks for linking it.

The author may be correct in everything he writes, but it's certainly
not the only point-of-view. One could find examples to support any
point-of-view, which is not to say that I think all points-of-view are
equally valid.

What is clear, however, is that this subject has a big potential for
ideological disagreements. Which is why I tried to be very limited in
what I wrote. For example, I specifically did not claim that "recursive
mutexes help you write better programs". Instead, I was careful to write:

> Not saying this is a superior model in every way, just that it's what
> I grew up with.

:-)

-Marsh