Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Proto] Vector Example Compilation Failure
From: Hossein Haeri (powerprogman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-03 13:44:58

Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for the nice explanation. :)

> I'm afraid there is little I can tell you to help in the general case.

You don't need to be that general then. Why not having a section which provides bullet-points like: "If you get an instantiation message for ..., then that's a bug because that certain MPL beast is only supposed to be checked without instantiation"? This would perhaps not result in a fully-fledged FAQ, but, it's a collection of tips with the same spirit.

> 2) Preprocess the code first and compile it.

Hmmm... How do I do that?

> > This is
> > though not encouraged at all and I don't really think
> that the
> > documentations of Fusion and Proto are that nicely
> tied.
>
> Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Sure. Here are some suggestions:

1) Every now and then in the Proto documentation, you can add a short intermezzo which explains which Fusion creature is used in that specific point and how.

2) You might want to state Fusion as a pre-requisite for proper Proto knowledge.

3) After "Getting Started" and before "Fronts Ends...", you might stitch in a short summary of what Fusion is, what it does for Proto, and perhaps a quick hand-wavy explanation about the parts of Fusion that would be handy in development using Proto. Obviously, this will have links to appropriate corners in the Fusion documentation.

On the other hand, the documentation of Fusion is rather a reference manual and you'd usually not learn how to program using a library by reading the mere reference...

HTH,
--Hossein