Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How to get bug reports addressed
From: Nat Linden (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-07 11:53:55

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Geoffrey Romer <gromer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

I'm responsible for maintaining the local Boost install for a large group of
> developers, and I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time
> reapplying our local patches for Boost bugs every time a new version comes
> out, seemingly with no end in sight.

I do understand the problem. It seems to me that this is exactly what Vendor
Branches:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html
is intended to address. We've used that tactic fairly successfully
ourselves.

When a local patch is applied upstream and eventually arrives in your local
repository, either the merge is trivial (because your local code is now
identical to the vendor code) or you get a merge conflict, which you can
resolve in favor of the new vendor code.

> In every case the reporters have done everything they could to provide a
> useful bug report, up to and including providing patches, but have been met
> with profound silence.

But it's all volunteer effort. I'm impressed that Marshall responded as he
did to your request.