Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-27 13:12:58

On 1/27/2011 12:52 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Dave Abrahams<dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> At Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:05:46 +0700,
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>>
>>> <idle speculation>
>>> Is it feasible to have both git and svn development going on
>>> simultaneously? Two-way synchronization from non-modularized svn boost
>>> to modularized git boost? Is that pure insanity?
>>> </idle speculation>
>>
>> Probably not *pure* insanity, but also perhaps not worth the trouble, IMO.
>
> Still, doing a "big bang" conversion to Git all at one time is more
> than a notion.
>
> Independent of modularization, ryppl, or anything else, is it time to
> start a discussion on the main list about moving to Git?

I hope such a discussion entails a very strong justification of why Git
is better than Subversion. I still do not buy it, and only find Git more
complicated and harder to use than Subversion with little advantage. I
fear very much an "emperor's new clothes" situation where everyone is
jumping on a bandwagon, because it is the latest thing to do, but no one
is bothering to explain why this latest thing has any value to Boost.