Subject: [Boost-users] Git (Was: What's happened to Ryppl?)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 07:06:25

Dean Michael Berris wrote:

>> >From Mercurial, you can export patches to a text file containing the
>> diffs and a few headers, and import that text file into another repo,
>> where it preserves the commit message. Is that the sort of thing you
>> meant?
>>

> Well, not really -- git has git-format-patch that actually crafts an
> appropriately encoded email message.

And you have even push those messages to the Draft folder of your IMAP
email server. In practice, though, it's not like using attachments is
too painful, and for most practical cases, the time you need to work
with the patch on both ends is far greater than time spend attaching
a file and then saving an attachment.

And 'git am' is actually strong candidate for the worst command in
git. You gonna love those .rej files and how 'git mergetool' does
not work git 'git am' fails.

So, I don't think git sets any points on this particular item.

- Volodya

--
Vladimir Prus
Mentor Graphics