Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: Mathieu - (ptr.jetable_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-29 07:27:33

 On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> * I happen to like the fact that SVN stores things *not on my hard drive*,
> it means I just don't have to worry about what happens if my laptop goes
> belly up, gets lost, stolen, dropped, or heaven forbid "coffeed".  On the
> other hand the "instant" commits and version history from a local copy would
> be nice...

Sorry but I don't like that actually. Servers (here the boost
repository) are also
likely to crash/burn whatever (oh and yes there are backups but...
I've seen backup
destroyed before).
So here it is what happen with git : your laptop dies, the main
repository dies? That's
not really important as thousands of user all over the world have
copies of this repo.
That's much more safe than just one central server. (actually that
could be compared to
thousands of backups).