Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problems compiling those libraries that are not header only on 64 bit Windows 7
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-29 13:30:49

On 1:59 PM, Ted Byers wrote:
> Many thanks to all who responded, both on and off list. This is on 64 bit
> WIndows 7 Pro.
>
> [...]...failed testing.capture-output
> ..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\v3_operations_test.test\msvc-10.0\debug\addre
> ss-model-64\architecture-x86\asynch-exceptions-on\threading-multi\v3_operati
> ons_test.run...
> ...failed updating 121 targets...
> ...skipped 258 targets...
> ...updated 54807 targets...
>
> Is this result expected or normal? If this is expected, then my next step
> is to use this to build and test QuantLib 1.0.1 ...
>
> Would the output from the tests be helpful to anyone? How would I modify
> the ast two lines above so that the full output of the testing is stored in
> a file, and to whom would I email it if it would be helpful to anyone? Or
> should I just pipe it by adding "> output.file.dat"
>
> One final note about the above 'scriptlet': The bootstrap script finished
> in seconds, and the next two lines used no more than 30% of the CPU
> resources. Only did the last two statements use 100% of the CPU resources
> consistently. (This is a fast intel Core i7) This is the only time I have
> placed enough of a computing burden on this machine to use more than 25% of
> the CPU resources.
>
> Now, the results for building all in cygwin are not so good. Within the
> cygwin bash shell, I ran the following:
>
> ./bootstrap.sh
> ./bjam
> cd status
> ../bjam
>
> [...]...failed testing.capture-output
> ../bin.v2/tools/bcp/test/bcp-test.test/gcc-4.3.4/release/link-static/bcp-tes
> t.run...
> ...failed updating 172 targets...
> ...skipped 381 targets...
> ...updated 24948 targets...
>
> [...]

As a point of reference, I have a boost trunk regression test for
Win7-x64 (gcc 4.6 x64). See
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/summary.html.
Though it's trunk (not release) it should be pretty similar, and give
you an idea of what works (or can be made to work with my patches, below).

Also, see https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4839 for a batch of
patches to get boost::thread to build. (A lot of other things are built
on it.) I haven't had time to push to get these patches incorporated.

HTH.