Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Git vs SVN
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-30 14:44:26

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 06:42, Klaim <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm not sure it will be of  great help to you or others,
> but this page is meant to explain to people used to SVN
> the differences with decentralized source control tools and why it might be
> worth :
> http://hginit.com/00.html%c2%a0(it's about mercurial/hg but the decentralized way
> of doing things
> is globally the same with git and bazaar).

There's one great line in there that basically sums up everything you
need to know:

    "[A DVCS] separates the act of committing new code from the act of
inflicting it on everybody else."

Just about everything that's different stems from that distinction.
(Pushing and pulling are how you choose who to inflict with your code
and by whose code you wish to be inflicted, respectively.)

~ Scott