Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Thread changes from Boost 1.38 to 1.45
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 03:30:00

Ven Tadipatri <ven.tadipatri_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi,
> We upgraded our project from using Boost 1.38 to Boost 1.45 but now
> seem to be having some thread issues. The error doesn't happen for
> every run, but occasionally the wait method in condition_variable_any
> fails. At other times the program seems to run into an infinite loop,
> presumably waiting for a lock that's never released. I looked at the
> changes in
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/doc/html/thread/changes.html but
> don't see what could be causing the error to occur only after
> upgrading to Boost 1.45.
> Has anyone else experienced their code breaking when upgrading to
> the latest version of Boost?

This seems similar to the problems people have experience with
boost::this_thread::sleep (which I cannot reproduce), which relies on
condition_variable::timed_wait.

I don't think anything significant has changed in that area, so it
surprises me that you are experiencing problems only after upgrading.

Can you give more information about the problem? A small sample
application that demonstrates it would be nice.

Anthony

--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk