Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost Graph Library] larger neighborhood in grid_graph
From: Cromwell Enage (sponage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 00:19:26

--- On Tue, 2/1/11, Hannes Schulz wrote:
> I recently discovered grid_graph and found it quite useful
> so far.

I *just* discovered this in the trunk. Too bad I don't share your enthusiasm, which I normally have for BGL utilities.

> However, I would prefer a larger neighborhood in the graph
> (e.g. 8 instead of 4 for 2D; 26 instead of 6 in 3D). I
> already started looking into copying and modifying
> grid_graph.hpp accordingly, but cannot entirely anticipate
> the complexity of the problem.

Not to mention the proximity of the impending release.

> Therefore I decided to ask here first:
>
> - Why did the developers restrict grid_graph to
> "orthogonal" neighborhoods?

+1 for this question. I wouldn't be able to use it in my game_of_life example program from my automaton library.

> - Is a modification of grid_graph worth it, or am I going
> to throw away everything anyway and should start over anew
> instead? (without the wrapping overhead, which I do not need)

Personally, I'm taking the algorithmic approach. (Look up Algorithms/graph/intrusive_layout.zip in the Vault.)

Cromwell D. Enage