Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Thread changes from Boost 1.38 to 1.45
From: Ven Tadipatri (ven.tadipatri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-07 11:37:02

It appears the problem has to do with the thread being interrupted. For
some reason in Boost 1.45, when a thread is given the interrupt command,
it's either ignored, or something is prevented from checking for the
interrupt. The only change I can see in the interrupt method is the
acquisition of an internal lock (line 414 in thread.cpp in Boost 1.45):
         boost::pthread::pthread_mutex_scoped_lock
internal_lock(local_thread_info->cond_mutex);
This line isn't present in Boost 1.38.
   As a sort of hack I was able to call interrupt on the thread, then
call sleep on that thread for 20 milliseconds (some arbitrary time). The
documentation states there are interruption points, so the thread only
interrupts when it reaches one of those points:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/doc/html/thread/thread_management.html#interruption_points
Was this behavior changed so that now when interrupt is called on a
thread it doesn't actually get interrupted until one of these other
methods are called? Previously, when interrupt was called on a thread it
would get interrupted immediately, so what's going on?

Thanks,
Ven