Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Interested in GSoC 2011
From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 19:05:50

Hi Chaitali,

On 6 February 2011 13:54, Chaitali Shah <chaitalib.shah_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello members,
>
> Myself is Chaitali Shah, undergraduate student of Computer Engineering from
> Sardar Patel Institute of Technology,Mumbai. I am interested in
> participating in GSoC 2011 with Boost C++ libraries as mentoring
> organisation. As a computer engineering student I have good programming
> skills and am familiar with many new tools and technologies.

Welcome!

> I am new to the list and to the organization. I went through the projects
> of last year and found my interest over it. I saw that organization has
> already started with the preparations of GSoc 2011 [1] and I wish to work
> with the organization as a developer. I wanted to know if there are some
> task that i should work on so as to better understand the code base and
> architecture before the timeline. Thus, it will be helpful for me if you
> provide me or guide me with some information as pre-requisites.

There's a page up on the wiki with some info about this year's GSoC [1] as
well as previous iterations of the ideas page [2]. If you haven't found the
actual code for previous years, it all goes into the Boost sandbox [3],
which as you'll notice has a tantalisingly empty 2011 folder.

In general, there is usually a mix of applications taken from the "ideas"
page with a bunch of others that applicants are just interested in. My guess
is that the successful ones are the enthusiastic ones that submit a
realistic and practical proposal, so it's up to you whether you choose one
of the suggested ideas or come up with a better one. As with anything in
Boost, you've got to raise some interest in your idea and develop it with
others on the list.

Just remember how short the summer really is when you're mulling over what
you want to do (my 2p)!

If you want to get a head start, there's an example boost project in svn [4]
that you might want to familiarise yourself with.

There's usually an official announcement on the list when documents have
been submitted, so watch out for that.

Cheers,
Darren

[1] https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2011