Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [regex] link problem with MSVC
From: Thomas Mang (thomasmang.ng_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-21 14:05:52

On 2/21/2011 7:39 PM, John Maddock wrote:
>> I had built boost version 1.40 (some time ago) myself with MSVC 2008
>> Express, a complete build.
>> I now wanted to use the regex library; I left the default option of
>> statically linking it in (no #define BOOST_REGEX_DYN_LINK) and also
>> count on auto-linking (no BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB).
>>
>> Using regex_search, I keep getting linker errors:
>
> <snip>
>
> I've never seen those before, the missing symbols are std lib ones not
> Boost.Regex ones BTW. I would guess there's something unusual about how
> the library was built or how your app is being built. The quick solution
> would be to define BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB and add all the
> libs/regex/src/*.cpp files directly to your project. Otherwise check
> that regex really was built with VC9 and not some other compiler by
> mistake, and check to see what defines and/or "odd" compiler options you
> may be using in your project.

Yes they are std errors but only pop up if I use the regex library
(specifically, using regex_search is the offender).
To the best of my knowledge I am not using any odd options either for my
project or when I had compiled the boost library.
The project is a fairly plain-vanilla console application with most
options left to the default, only rather unsuspicious include directives
and some optimization flags set, but the linker error also comes in
debug mode. I am also using the boost threads library and others without
any problems.

Boost libraries were built with sort of the default
bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 --build-type=complete --build-dir=BuildDir stage,
so nothing odd there as well.

hth,
Thomas