Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Context] Mac OS X support?
From: Nat Linden (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-10 11:44:25

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Julian Gonggrijp <j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Nat Linden wrote:

> > However, at this moment in history, one must ask how important it
> > still is to support Mac OS X <= 10.4?
>
> I'm completely ignorant about today's marketshare of Mac OS X 10.4, but I
> can tell you I'd rather like to see it supported for a while. Personally,
> I own an i686 machine with Mac OS X 10.6 and a PPC machine with Mac OS X 10.4.
> The latter is quite old and won't be able to pull anything more modern than
> 10.4. Therefore my only option for PPC testing is under Mac OS X 10.4.

Mmm, I have no hard data either (anyone?) -- but it seems to me that
the importance of testing on OS X 10.4 depends not only on how many
such machines are still in use, but on how many of those machines the
owners are still installing new software.

Their reluctance to upgrade the OS might suggest a corresponding lack
of enthusiasm about buying/upgrading other applications.

Not trying to incite a flame war; I'm honestly interested in the
answer, willing to be convinced that OS X 10.4 is in fact an important
target platform for the forthcoming Boost.Context. At the moment,
though, I'm inclined to doubt it.