Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [GIL] Compilation times
From: Germán Diago (germandiago_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-14 11:38:23

2011/3/14 Christian Henning <chhenning_at_[hidden]>:
> Hi German,
>
> dynamic images ( any_image ) use a lot of template metaprogramming and
> this probably makes the g++ spin a lot longer. Is there a way for you
> not to use dynamic images? Also can you try g++ 4.5?

Unfortunately, with g++-4.5 there's a bug that prevents boost-1.42
combination to compile correctly.
I can't change my versions of tools/libraries either, since the code
is shared among
several people and that would do some harm to cooperation.
Maybe I could have avoided the use of any_image, but anyway, now
compile time is at least acceptable.

> Is it possible for you to send some code demonstrating the compilation effect?

I managed to lower the compile times quite a bit (from 10 to 2
minutes!). I just factored
the common code in a common init function. Sorry, I'm not allowed to
send the code.

Whenever we can upgrade boost we can try g++-4.5, which should be
faster as well.

Thanks for your time.