Subject: Re: [Boost-users] backporting filesystem v3
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-14 13:14:17

Arash Abghari wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to backport filesystem v3 to 1.40 by
> replacing source folder from 1.46.

In general, such an approach might cause troubles because of
inter-library dependencies.

Without any knowledge about the implementation of Boost.Filesystem,
I can tell you that there is another way which is at least as
effective and at least as easy. Keep your 1.46 installation as it
is. Install the complete 1.40 tree in another directoy and build
it with the option --with-libraries=filesystem set. This may
overwrite your additional copy of the 1.46 headers in some
system-wide directory like /usr/local/include; in that case, just
re-copy it from $BOOST_1_46/boost. Alternatively, you can use
custom target directory settings from the bootstrap script (refer
to bootstrap --help for more information).

Then, for all Boost libraries except Filesystem just keep using
version 1.46. For the Filesystem library, include from
$BOOST_1_40/boost and link to the library that you built when
installing version 1.40.

HTH,
-Julian