Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Review] Boost.Type Traits Extension by Frederic Bron
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 06:34:39

Bron

I have only read the documentation but have a few minor comments on it.

* I note that is does not use an automated system like Doxygen of producing
the reference information.
This seems to unfortunate, especially as there seem to be plans to change
some names.
I think we can be sure that there will be a fair number of glitches in the
documentation when this happens :-(

Although it is more work to start with (and does clutter the code -
something that is made much less important by syntax coloring, so one can
mentally ignore all the Doxygen comments) it does make it much, much easier
to ensure that the code and the documentation of functions, classes... stay
in step.

I would like to see the whole library Doxygen fully commented (ask if you
think I can help) - replacing much of the current reference text.

* I note that I didn't get the Boost or navigation icons or fonts from the
index.html sandbox site.

* The previous PDF version is fine (but of course lacking the new
operators). A new PDF version is extremely desirable (ask if you think I can
help).

* Some simpler (trivial even) examples might help newcomers to the library?
The examples given are 'interesting' but quite complicated.

* Floating point example(s) could refer to the Boost.Math library where
type_traits are widely used?

* A few items could be updated for the latest compilers like VC2010?

has_nothrow_assign has no_throw_copy ...

"Currently (May 2005) only Visual C++ 8 has the necessary compiler support
to ensure that this trait "just works". "

"Currently (May 2005) only Visual C++ 8 has the necessary compiler support
to ensure that this trait "just works"."

* a typo

"Occationally the end user may need to provide their own specialization for
one of the type traits ..."

HTH

Paul

PS This is not a NO vote (in essence a YES seems a no-brainer) - I'd just
like to see some improvements in the documentation.

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK
+44 1539 561830  07714330204