Subject: [Boost-users] traversing archive file (tar, zip) directories the boost way?
From: Ákos Maróy (akos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-20 06:58:50

Hi,

I wonder if there is a boost-friendly API to manage directory structures
in archive file formats, like tar, zip & the like?

In boost iostreams, there are filters for popular compression formats,
like gzip, bzip2 and zip. but these only provide stream compression /
decompression - and rightfully so.

In boost filesystem, one has a portable API for traversing file system
directory structures, which is very nice.

But I'm not aware of a boost-friendly API that would allow traversing in
& managing directory structure & multiple files in archive formats, such
as tar & zip. of course there are C libraries, such as libtar or zlib,
or ziplib, but these are all C libraries.

What I would be looking for is a way to list files & directories in an
archive, extract specific files from an archive, and put files into an
archive, in a nice, boost-like C++ way.

Is there something like this available?

Akos