Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Thread Interruption Best Practice
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-20 18:48:28

On 03/20/2011 02:45 PM, Dom Driver wrote:

> Failing that, is there an alternative implementation of the classic
> Linux select()/read() functionality using boost classes? I had a look
> at the async I/O library and it seems a bit convoluted.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dom

Hi Dom -

This is the type of thing that ASIO does well. What type of problems are
you having with the library?

Understanding the proactor model is critical to understanding ASIO. The
"overview" portion of the docs in ASIO will give you a good grasp of how
to approach problems with a proactor. You may also find my BoostCon'10
talk of ASIO beneficial:

video: http://boostcon.blip.tv/file/4171562/
slides: http://www.objectmodelingdesigns.com/boostcon10/

HTH -