Subject: Re: [Boost-users] (no subject)
From: Cedric Laczny (cedric.laczny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-07 14:03:29

On Thursday, 7. April 2011 13:31:56 Gabriel Marchand wrote:
> Thank you for this solution. It compiles. Nevertheless, I still don't
> achieve what I want to do and I don't understand a few things (I attached
> the code):
>
> 1/ I run the connected_component() function after defining the graph
> graph_t G(num_nodes) and I expect that there should be as many components
> as num_nodes as I didn't add the edges yet. However the return of the
> function tells me there is 1 component ??
>
> After adding the edges between all vertices, the number of components is 1,
> as it should be. But when I use the function clear_vertex(), I expect to
> create a new component as the vertex cleaned contain no more edges. The
> number of components is still one.
>
> What I am doing wrong here?

Your forgot to fill the index map. Doing so, should make everything work as you
expect it.

> 2/I need to know the size in number of vertices of the components,
> therefore I need to use something like
>
> for (i = 0; i != num_nodes; ++i)
> cout << "Vertex " << i <<" is in component " << component[i] << endl;
> cout << endl;
>
> but of course with our changings done this can't be used. Do you have an
> idea how I could extract this information.

You simply have to iterate over the vertices themself (instead of over the
number of vertices) using vertex_iterator. You already have the necessary code
when initializing the index map.
I would suggest you to have a deeper look at the introduction of BGL
(again?!), especially the examples in order to get an idea about the versatile
interfaces etc. that the BGL provides. Especially, when you plan to use the
"not-so-common" listS vertex container. BTW, it might be worth a try to
benchmark vecS against listS for a reasonable example in your situation. I
would be interested in the performance differences and in case they prove to be
negligible, perhaps think about using vecS instead, as I imagine this will
save you some hard time figuring out the reason of unexpected behavior and
waiting for help ;)

> Gabriel

Hope that clears your questions so far.

Best,