Subject: [Boost-users] serialization
From: grahamo (graham.walsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-05 10:15:14

Hi,

I'm working on an atrocious project whereby the persistence/serialization of
various objects is done by an internal framework. Data is stored in binary
format. Each piece of data is stored with an integer identifier that
assicates it with the bindary data. I won't go into the details here.

Anyways, this framework is very old and appears to present more problems
than it solves. My goal is to convince the project manager that boost
serialization is the way to go. They are against external 3rd party
libraries despite the fact that boost is maintained by hundreds of
developers (perhaps more). If I can provide a persuasive argument to
migrating to boost, I can rid this project of a lot of issues.

Here's the issues we currently face;

A)

The objects we persist are very much subject to change. New fields are
added, moved around and deleted more or less as the wind blows.  With each
version of the application, various objects are persisted to disk in a file.
This file *must* be compatible with the next version of the application.  V1
objects and V2 objects are similar but not always identical (sometimes they
are). Migration from V1 to V2 is done by massacring the the codebase with
if/else statements.