Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [iterator] Problems with iterator_facade and const-qualification
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-07 11:20:16

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Evan Driscoll <driscoll_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 05/06/2011 11:59 AM, Jeff Flinn wrote:
>
>> You might google any_iterator, and see how other authors have addressed
>> similar problems.
>>

> Great! I tried to find someone who had done something similar, figuring I
> couldn't have been the first, but all the search terms I tried were too
> generic.
>
> Thanks,
> Evan

Evan,

For the Boost 1.46 release I added two related features to Boost.Range. The
two related features are 'any_range' and the Range Adaptor 'type_erased'.
These implementations take the any_iterators that you will find commonly on
the web and improve their performance by incorporating the 'small buffer
optimization' which radically reduces the allocation overhead and improves
the locality of data. Hence the performance overhead of this particular
implementation is considerably less than others that I have tried.

I strongly recommend using the any_range solution rather than redeveloping
any_iterators.

The relevant reference documentation:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/range/doc/html/range/reference/ranges/any_range.html
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/range/doc/html/range/reference/adaptors/reference/type_erased.html