Subject: [Boost-users] condensed overview of boost
From: Olaf Krzikalla (olaf.krzikalla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-12 11:07:32

Hi @boost,

recently I've given some lectures about some selected boost libraries.
After that the audience expressed the wish to get an overview over all
current boost libraries. Thus for my next lecture I sat down and digged
through the complete 1.46 for several day. I found a lot of useful
stuff, but I also found a lot of obsolete, superseded, replaced or
will-be-superseded stuff. Some libraries seems to be sub-libs of other
libs. Is there an overview of inner lib relations and the actual lib
state wrt. to the overall development?
The issues I've found so far:

- Compatibility: very narrow. Is it still needed as a public lib?
- Functional, MemFun: superseded by Bind
- Call Traits, Functional/Forward, Lambda: will be superseded by C++0x
- Interval: can this become a sub-lib of ICL?
- Meta State Machine / Statechart: whats the actual difference? I.e.
   which problem is solved by one lib but not by the other?
- Fusion & Tuple: how are these related? Could boost::tuple become a
   typedef to boost::fusion::vector.

I know that most of these relations are there for historical reasons and
won't be changed. However I wish it had been documented somewhere. That
would make an in-depth introduction of boost a lot easier.

Best regards
Olaf Krzikalla