Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] Lost communications and mysterious names
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-16 20:19:19

On 05/16/2011 06:41 PM, Roger wrote:
> What I was
> doing was periodically reopening the shared memory in processes that
> were reading only. So if another process removed and recreated it, it
> would eventually find the new copy. Is this a sensible way to do it?
> Is there a function to test whether the memory has been removed?
>
> The only reason I was recreating the shared memory was to ensure a
> cleanly initialised empty space. Perhaps I should turf the whole
> recreating process and go with a clearing process instead. That
> should be fine once what I'm sharing is fixed. But during development
> it can change, and I recall the programs crashing if they open an old
> file and try to read a variable which wasn't there in the old version.

I'm interested in this too.

I'm trying to come up with a system that works well where I can have
some 'viewer' apps that run persistently with open windows to display
some simple data structures from shared memory, almost like a debugger.
I would like to be able to kill and restart the apps that generate the
data freely.

However, I think it's reasonable to fail if the representation changes.
I don't want to go down the road of defining a formal schema or
anything. :-)

- Marsh