Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Link errors building against Boost Python
From: Chris Weisiger (cweisiger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-17 12:34:41

Thanks Jürgen! That is helpful. More inline.

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Jürgen Hunold <juergen.hunold_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thursday, 12. May 2011 18:30:00 Chris Weisiger wrote:
> > and then built Boost's Python libraries with
> >
> > > bjam.exe --toolset=msvc-9.0 --address-model=64 --with-python
>
> This should read:
>
> bjam.exe toolset=msvc-9.0 address-model=64 --with-python
>
> Boost.Build options don't have "--".

I think what happened here is that at one point I typo'd "address-space"
instead of "address-model", got a complaint about not recognizing the
option, which went away when I added the --. Of course that's just because
at that point it was ignored entirely. Whoops.

> The generated path names should contain "address-model-64".

If you're talking about the intermediary build files, then yes, I have e.g.
a directory bin.v2/libs/python/build/msvc-9.0/release/address-model-64.

> > PyFTGL uses Python's distutils to build, which doesn't know how to find
> libraries whose names start with "lib", so I renamed the .lib files in the
> stage/lib directory: "libboost_python-vc90-mt-1_46_1.lib" to "boost_python-
> vc90-mt-1_46_1.lib" and so on.
>
> This is wrong. Files starting with "lib" are static libraries. See the
> docs
> at http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/more/getting_started/windows.html
> especially
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/more/getting_started/windows.html#or-
> build-binaries-from-source
> on how to get shared/all library variants.

It's been awhile since I spent any significant amount of time wrestling with
compiling and linking stuff, so assuming I ever knew that, I clearly forgot.
Thanks for the correction.

Reading over that documentation, looks like what I wanted was
--build-type=complete. That got me boost_python-vc90-mt-1_46_1.lib, which is
what PyFTGL was looking for. So that's progress!

Unfortunately now PyFTGL is getting a link error looking for
boost::throw_exception: http://pastebin.com/DTUX2w84

Am I perhaps missing some "central" Boost library? Except in that case I'd
expect to get a complaint that a .lib file wasn't found. I've only built the
Python libraries so far; building everything takes a long time.

Progress is made, but there's still something missing...

-Chris