Subject: [Boost-users] multi-array and pdes
From: petros (pmamales_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-21 16:02:36

Hi,
These can very well be very naive questions, since I am relatively new to this - apologies..:
I am trying to write a pde solver for a 3D problem.
Multi-array seems like a very natural choice for a data structure to store the functtion values.

The method I am trying to use is operrator splitting.
This amounts to solving a tridiagonal system for each dimension in sequence.

Suppose then that I have a MA( M, N, L ):
It is highly desirable to maintain this xyz (let's call it) "logical" system of reference
since incorporation of boundary conditions and stencil calculations would be
conceptually straightforward -otherwise very complicated. The idea being that, I would
then have the tridiagonal opertator ( and rhs) in the "rotated" system and all other calculations in
the "logical" one.
Therefore, I need some fascility to rotate my MA, from the xyz to yzx etc (cyclically).
Is there functionality ( as a view to the data ) that would allow me to do this off-the-shelve?

Also, a couple of other points:
-If I wanted to use views to subgrids, in parallelized calculations, are there memory allocations that
happen under the hood for which I should worry (for performance)?
-Is a one dimensional MA usable?
-Are there adapters between 2D MAs and uBlas matrices?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
P-