Subject: Re: [Boost-users] multi-array and pdes
From: petros (pmamales_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-22 11:53:15

Hi Larry,
apologies, for not being clear.
Yes, MA is boost::multi_array. M, N, L are the dimensions
(this is only a "logical" statement, rather than a proper code snippet).
I think I have pretty much sorted out the calling practices wrt multi-aray
and looking
for if certain functionality exists.
My problem amounts to having a view that would allow for the permutation
(if not rotation) of axes.
As I begun to explain, the operator splitting methods decompose a problem in
N dimensions
into N 1-dimensional problems.
The problem itself is stated, though, in a certain reference system (this
means that the discretized
operators (stencils) and the boundary conditions are expressed in terms of
these boundary conditions.
However, the linear equation systems that are produced, are in tridiagonal
form, only in one of these steps
( the first step of the 1-D problems ). Otherwise it produces a block-banded
system of equations, that can
be reduced back to the familiar tridiagonal ( conceptually), through axes
permutation (or rotation).
If one things in terms of the 2D problem analog, while conceptually it would
amount to exchange the two axes,
in matrix form, and because of the storage alignment it would involve a much
bigger operation. Since, these
operators/systems are created from the problem, it would be very nice to
have this view functionality to exploit
for keeping the storage of the operators in the desired form.

I hope this is clearer now - don't mean to drag you into my problem.
Thank you for your response,
Petros