Subject: Re: [Boost-users] question about fusion concepts/documentation
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-29 18:23:33

AMDG

On 05/29/2011 03:05 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> I'm working on a personal project based on fusion. This project builds a
> library on
>
> I'm working on an experimental library which builds on fusion. As part of
> that
> I want to implement concept checking for this experimental library. Since
> this builds on fusion, I want to implement concept checking for fusion
> so my library can build on that. Since fusion seems clearly documented, I
> would
> hope that this would be a fairly straight forward exercise.
>
> This will also give me a better feel for concept checking and archtypes.
>
> Looking at fusion documentation on page:
> ..libs/fusion/doc/html/fusion/iterator/concepts/forward_iterator.html
> I find:
>
> Expression Requirments
> ======================
> next(i)
>
> Meta Expressions
> ============
> result_of::next<I>::type
>
> Expression Semantics
> ===============
> next(i) - An iterator to the element following i
>
> So the quesion is: Why is result_of::next<I>::type necessary? The
> expression symantics
> only make sense if next(i) if it returns the same type as it's argument. So
> why is the
> result_of::next<I>::type needed at all. That is won't it always be equal to
> I. If not,
> why not?

The type of next(i) is not the same as
the type of i. Every iterator to a fusion
sequence has a different type. For example,
for fusion::vector, the iterators could look
something like:

template<class Sequence, int I>
struct vector_iterator;

template<class Sequence, int I>
vector_iterator<Sequence, I+1> next(vector_iterator<Sequence, I>);

> The question I have applies to other functions as well but next illustrates
> my question.
> specifially I have the same question regarding advance, and advance_c.
>
> Also the espressions i == j should return a value convertible to bool.
> Then what
> is result_of::equal_to<I, J>::type to be used for? distance raises similar
> quesions.

Actually, result_of::equal_to is used a lot
more when implementing algorithms than
operator==. equality for fusion iterators
depends only on their types. distance
can be computed at compile time.

> I'm actually having quite a bit of difficulty with this task - the above
> quesions are
> only the easiest one to formulate.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe