Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Test] can tests be run in parallel?
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 10:21:16

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Thorsten Ottosen <
thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Den 10-06-2011 12:30, Ovanes Markarian skrev:
>

>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Thorsten Ottosen
>> <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden] <mailto:thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>

> I think there is much more to do, since test suites might depend on
>> other test cases or test suites. There must be some sort of logic, how
>> to identify independent execution units and execute them, because even
>> if some suite cannot be run in parallel since it depends on other
>> suite(s) or test cases, it is still possible that all tcs in this suite
>> can be run in parallel. May be some sort of work stealing algorithm?
>>

> Ccurrently, that is not on of my needs. Anyway, some of the logic must
> already be there, otherwise how can it run dependent tests today?
>
> -Thorsten

I remember that in the plain API there is a function add_dependency or smth.
like that. The problem is, if you implement parallel test execution, you
can't just skip the dependency, because it is not used in most cases.
Otherwise it could lead to deadlocks, in the cases where it is used.

With Kind Regards,
Ovanes