Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost exception question whenthreadinglibrary header is included.
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 14:58:48

Lars Viklund wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:29:58AM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:

> There is no bug in neither your code nor the Boost.Thread code. The
> library is very well operating within the standard, assuming that it
> throws and catches exceptions where allowed.

well, it doesn't catch them. I don't think the standard says anything
about when exceptions are allowed. But really, throwing exceptions
before main is called can't be considered acceptable practice since
there is no way to catch them.

> The only reason you notice that implementation detail at all is that
> you've told your runtime environment to introspect the execution so
> intrusively.

which I should be able to do without getting any unwanted side effects.

>As I
> interpreted it, it could be that you've found that it invoked
> undefined behaviour by utilizing exceptions too early in the
> processes, didn't catch the exceptions in all cases, or something of
> that kind.

I can live with that and still call it a bug. Anyway it seems
it's been fixed (whether it's a bug or not).

Robert Ramey