Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Test] can tests be run in parallel?
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 22:03:31

On Jun 10, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Ovanes Markarian <om_boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> 2. Managing dependency should not be a problem IMO. Boost.Test has rather simple
> model and running test units in parallel should not complicate it much.
> But how do you see the dependencies in the tcs? Does it make sence to run a dependent tc if the main tc already failed? There must be some split, which splits tcs and considers their dependency graphs. What happens now if e.g. there is a cyclic dependency?

To me this resembles a data-flow problem. You can parallelize wherever it fans out, join() when a given test depends on multiple antecedents (if you can express such a thing in Boost.Test). The data item being passed is the bool expressing whether all previous tests along that path have succeeded; with multiple antecedents, you && the path results. A test is run only if all its inputs are true. Failure of a test passes false to its successors.

There's even a (Vault?) data-flow library... ;-)