Subject: Re: [Boost-users] exception, filesystem, system_error and consistency
From: Michael Schuerig (michael.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-12 07:39:31

On Sunday 12 June 2011, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> > I'm guessing this is why a number
> > of libraries have been changed not to include this.
>
> I am not concerned about libraries not using boost::throw_exception,
> my only concern is that such a choice is made on behalf of users of
> those libraries.

Well, what *are* users of those libraries supposed to do, then?

From the outside, purely as a user, it looks to me like the boost
authors haven't agreed about this issue (and presumably other) and I
have to sort it out for myself. This is the same as in the normal case
of using libs from several sources. It is just not what I was expecting.

The Boost Library Reuse policy,
http://www.boost.org/development/reuse.html , is rather permissive, it
basically justs says what not to do (rely on non-std or non-boost libs),
but only gives weak positive recommendations.

What I *was* expecting is a policy that mandates higher-level libs use
the services of lower-level ones if at all applicable. In other words,
if libs don't play nicely together, at least one of them has to be
adapted. Any squabbles ought to be resolved in released versions of
boost.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig