Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost Serialization] crashing use case about serialization using pointers to objects of an abstract derived class using two DLLs
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-13 19:37:47

François Mauger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Robert for the fast reply and the hint.
> I've just checkout the trunk and built it.
> Now I link against 1.47 and my use case ran without
> apparent problem. Of course it needs more tests to validate a production
> approach
> for my DLLs but it is very encouraging after weeks/months of struggle
> to setup this multi DLL approach.

Was all this effort related to boost serialization or all the
"other" stuff which appears when one does this?

> It seems the code that you have modified/fixed is the
> 'void_caster::recursive_unregister()' method in 'void_cast.cpp'
> where there was some possibly double deletion occurence, depending on
> how the set was filled.
>
> If I copy the fix in the 1.44 source, is it supposed to work, or is
> there other stuff to be modified ?

In this particular instance, it's just the changes in
'void_caster::recursive_unregister()'

BTW, credit for fixing this incredible obscure and difficult
to find bug goes to ...Aaron Barany. I was stuck with this
until he fixed it.

Robert Ramey