Subject: [Boost-users] How to bjam program_options correctly for VC++ 9 (Visual Studio 2008)?
From: Petr Přikryl (prikryl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-21 10:21:05

Hi,

I am very new to this mailing list. I tried to search the archive,
but I did not find the answer...

So far, I do use only BOOST_FOREACH and regex from
the boost in our application. However, I am planning to extend
the usage.

My question is how to use the bjam correctly to compile
a module for Microsoft Windows using the VC++ 9
(Visual Studio 2008)?

My boost bakground...

My previous experience is only with compilation of the regex.
However, there are makefiles prepared for compilation
by the Visual Studio C++ versions (like vc9.mak). It seems
to me that bjam is prefered, and should be used whenever
possible.

I did download the boost_1_46_1.zip and unzipped it to
d:usrboost_1_46_1 directory. Then I have followed the advice
from somwhere in the doc and launched the d:usrboost_1_46_1bootstrap.bat

The compilation went successfully and the d:usrboost_1_46_1bjam.exe
appeared there. I did move it to the d:usrbin -- that directory is
in my path.

Now, I would like to know how and from where I should launch the bjam.exe
to obtain the compiled libraries. Actually, I did some moves and I got
some libs; however, I would like to better understand what I am doing.
For example, I did compile the regex. But the libraries had the _1_46_1
in the name while the linker later expected to find only _1_46 in the name.

I am afraid I do not understand more details. I tried some tutorials,
but they are or too focused on something or too general (too much info).

Please, can you focus on what exactly should be done for
the program_options and for the regex?

Thank you,
    Petr