Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] Writing an old version of a class
From: Kerry, Richard (richard.kerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-26 12:15:34

This discussion of handling of old vs new versions of data structures reminded me of a system we wrote at a place I used to work.
The system which was able to be both backward and forward compatible, within reason.

What we did was to write the data to the file with a numeric identifier, or tag, and a data length.

The rules were as follows:
Once you've defined the contents of a particular tag you were not then permitted to add or change anything within the data structure that it wrote, but you could add to the end.
The reader must read all tags. It may skip any it doesn't recognize (ie it mustn't consider that to be an error).
It will use its own data structure according to the current version of software. It will assign default values to all parts of all structures before reading anything from the file.
It will then read a maximum number of bytes from each record in the file according to the length of its own version of the structure.
If there are not enough bytes then the trailing part will retain the default values. If there are too many they will be discarded.

This achieves conventional backward compatibility (ie new software can read data from old file) because the new software will :
Have default data for (the trailing part of) structures which were too short in the file. Ie written by older versions.
Have default data for structures which were not present in the file (ie the tags weren't found). Ie not written at all by older versions.

It achieves forward compatibility (ie old software can read data from new files) because the software will :
Ignore data in the record that is past the length the (old) software expects.
Ignore any tags it doesn't recognize.

I do admit I'm writing this without much knowledge of Boost's serialization.
Reading this thread reminded me of this system - maybe Boost can already handle this...
And maybe it's an idea to be considered if not.

Regards,
Richard.