Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::bind replacements
From: Littlefield, Tyler (tyler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-17 20:09:45

On 9/17/2011 1:06 PM, Dmitriy Matison wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would you, please, tell in more detail about the overhead in binary
> size? What are approximate numbers of it? And how badly the
> compilation time decreases? I used boost::bind a lot, but haven't
> noticed that the overhead makes so much difference. Opposite example
> would be valuable.

I switched to boost::bind because I use an event system, as I pointed
out earlier. I liked being able to bind to methods and static members,
rather than just global functions with a function pointer. The overhead
could very well be with boost::function, since every time I add a
typedef I get a lot of overhead there.
I can't rip it out and show exactly how much compilation time decreases
because it's an integral part of my system now. I don't think the
compilation time has went up by a huge factor, but the binary size
certainly has. This is both with -O3 and -O0, using g++.